Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Module 3 - html

HTML

The only problems I really had with making my page were:
• I haven’t touched html since I had to make my homepage for a previous internet course back in 2001 so I’d forgotten some of what I had to do,
• Remembering to close tags, and
• Remembering to spell in “American”.

Do I feel a sense of achievement? Not sure if it’s achievement, but I love making things change. Unfortunately I’m never satisfied with the changes and end up in changing things a million times over. I also find that it’s all too easy for me to get too caught up in “playing” in html – time just runs away from me. Even making this simple page, I have been sitting here making changes and exploring how things work for over 3hrs now. This should have taken me around an hour, but when something doesn’t work the way I want it to, I go in and keep changing things until they do.

Html and blogging are two totally different animals. If you were designing your blog from scratch, you would be using html to actually set up your page and make it look the way you want. By using Blogspot etc, all the html coding has already been done, so there is no need to even really think about it.

I prefer coding the html, but unfortunately unless I was good enough at it to make web pages for other people, anything I’d code would probably never see the light of day because I still don’t feel comfortable with writing the blog.

2 comments:

Peter Fletcher said...

HTML and blogging aren't really two different things. Blogging software is built from HTML, CSS and .php code. Without these building blocks the blogging software doesn't work.

If you're game (sounds as though you are) go into the admin section of blogger and see where you can edit the template directly. The system allows you to edit the HTML and CSS so your page template displays differently.

Dare ya!

Judi Z said...

Hi Peter,

I still believe that HTML & blogging are two entirely different "animals".

Blogging is your direct thoughts - just like a diary that other people get to read. HTML involves the cyber pen, paper, ink, lines on the page etc. I'm not sure you can't blog without HTML, I'm sure there are some old "plain text" blogs around if you look hard enough, but at least with HTML you can make your page pretty & interesting to read.

Yes, I've already been into the admin section of blogger & had a look at the html code (I tend to do that on a lot of things anyway), and yes, I played around with some of the coding & made it change a bit, but I didn't bother saving it.