Saturday, December 20, 2008

Sat 20Dec08

Well, it's Saturday 20Dec08, and I'm officially on leave for 6wks. This was why I signed up for 2 subjects this semester, because I was going to have the time to do them. Yeah right!

I knew we had booked to go away for 6days in late Dec & I knew I have to go to hospital for a couple of days in Jan, but what I didn't know about was all the stuff that my family has managed to blindside me with in the meantime. I wish the kids were still little, because people expected that I had my hands full back then, and I wasn't the "first port of call" when there was a problem. Oh well.

I've been trying to keep up on the reading of the discussion boards since I got back from my work trip, and posting a few posts, but I haven't been able to do anything else yet. My other subject has been left sitting on the floor at the moment (almost literally) because it's been so hard to get into. It's a very dry subject with a lot of reading, which I hope to start (again) this afternoon. I'm taking my computer and books and locking myself in another room (with no TV, no phone and no family) and hope to get stuck into the reading, and if I can't stay awake properly with that, then I'll try to do some of the other modules from here in between. The danger with that though, is that I tend to fall into the "geek trap" - I get so engrossed in what I'm doing on the computer that I lose all track of time and end up in not going back to the subject that I was taking a break from.

Well, one way or another, I'm going to get through this (but will my husband survive my studies?????) - I've got "grand plans" of how I'm going to allow a certain amount of time most days to study, hopefully I won't get too distracted by life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel Judi! At times it seems that you are only treading water trying top keep up with the discussion boards, reading blogs and posting comments let alone your own work! The thing I have found in the last few days though is that when life gets in the way, sometimes it offers you the opportunity to look at things from a different perspective :)

Judi Z said...

Thanks Simon. At least I'm not panicking, I'm simply looking around and wondering which part I should get stuck into next (& how, & where, &..., &..., oh, & the housework, &... uummmm).

I at least managed some reading for the other subject on Sat when I was going to - I didn't fall asleep!! I've got a bit more to do there and then I have to start an essay.

The other site has got "Blackboard", not WebCT, and I've hardly ever seen a more unhelpful, non-intuitive layout. According to the sign in page with Curtin, they are going to Blackboard too - well, I hope whoever is doing the setting up at Curtin is a LOT better than whoever did the setting up at the other Uni site. I'm not a newcomer to the internet, I've used a lot of "user-unfriendly" sites in my time (Govt depts are NOTORIOUS for having sites that aren't user-friendly), but I have had so many problems following what's going on in the other site, that it's making it very hard for me to actually work out what I'm supposed to be doing.

Oh well, as long as I pass my subjects, that's the main thing *s*.