Saturday, December 6, 2008

TELNET

I found my way to Telnet. I have used it previously and knew what the screen should look like, but (off the top of my head) I wasn’t sure how to get there. So I went to the discussion boards and tried a couple of different variations on themes to get to Telnet, and then finally discovered the post that simply read “start > run > telnet” (thanks Michael Gifford – Msg 91 in “Which Telnet App?"). Of course – that’s where I found it last time I needed it!

Open Telnet and I need the library address. I tried to just type it in, but it didn’t like that. So once again, I looked in the discussion boards – that’s right, it needs something to tell it what I want to do with that address, hit anything and then enter and see what happens. Ok, so then it told me that “?” = help. “?” then gave me a list of commands.



From then on, it was a case of just typing in “o library.deakin.edu.au” and just following the prompts. However, I did get a little confused when I was asked what type of computer I was using, and neither of the options was what I was using. So I just typed in the first option and hoped for the best. It worked!

The end result was the email telling me that I’d searched for this particular Author’s name.



From there I went over to towel.blinkenlights.nl. Someone had WAY TOO MUCH time on their hands!! It was strange, watching this “old technology” that I once thought was so new.

No comments: